Many consumers don’t realize the dangers involved when dealing with gift cards, because they are not yet common in Nigeria. In this article, you will learn how to avoid scams and protect yourself as you purchase and use gift cards. As an added bonus, I’ll tell you how to convert these gift card to Naira, so you can use them immediately instead of having to wait until they are redeemed at the store or restaurant where they were purchased.
What are gift card scams?
The demand for gift cards throughout the Christmas season is high. People often buy them for themselves, their loved ones, and as gifts for others. However, there are many scam artists out there that take advantage of the popularity of these cards. Scams include not redeeming the full value of the card or selling them off in bulk (sometimes at a discount).
How do scammers get your information?
- Scammers can purchase your information on the dark web.
- They may call you and pretend to be from your credit card company. – They may create a fraudulent website that looks identical to the company’s official website.
- If you’re shopping online, make sure that the site is secure by looking for a lock symbol or https in the URL bar or by looking for a green bar at the top of the browser window with Secure next to it.
How to avoid gift card scams
Gift cards are a popular choice for holiday gifts and other celebrations. However, there are many scams out there that can ruin your day and take your hard-earned money. Here are some pointers to assist you stay away from con artists:
- Buy from reputable stores or dealers.
- Check the balance before buying any cards, especially cards with a low balance remaining.
- Never buy a card if the packaging is damaged in any way or has been tampered with.
- Do not use third party websites that offer discounts on gift cards, as they may be fraudulent.
What to do if you’ve been scammed
If you’ve been scammed, contact the company and they will be able to assist you in resolving the issue. For example, if you purchased an iTunes gift card from a third party seller on Facebook and it doesn’t work, contact Apple Support.
If you have any questions or concerns about your purchase, reach out to the seller. If the seller does not respond within 24 hours of your inquiry then it is safe for you to assume that the person has scammed you and report them.
A gift card to naira is a great last-minute purchase, but it’s important that you know how to keep from being scammed when you buy them. When shopping for gift cards, do your research and make sure the company is reputable and has a good track record of customer service. Read reviews before purchasing and remember that if an offer seems too good to be true, it probably is. In general, if you’re not buying a physical card in person, don’t buy one online or over the phone.
ALSO READ: Panilla Saga Redeem Code