In the article, we will analyze the types of correct essay structure and tell you how to competently perform written work in English.
An essay in English is a short essay with a specific structure in which you express your point of view on a given topic.
Essay structure in English
How many words should be in an essay in English? Each exam has a minimum and maximum amount of written work. Typically, the task involves writing an essay with a length of 180 to 320 words. If you are going to take an English test, we recommend that you clarify in advance the required amount of written work and practice writing a text of the appropriate length.
The structure of an essay in English is universal for all exams. Written work consists of the following parts:
- Title – the title of the essay, reflecting the theme of the story.
- Introduction – 2-4 short sentences that reveal the topic of the essay.
- The main part is 2-3 paragraphs describing the essence of the essay. Each of the paragraphs in the body of the essay begins with an introductory sentence (topic sentence). The following sentences develop and confirm the idea expressed in the topic sentence.
- Conclusion – 2-4 sentences summarizing what has been written. In this part, you make a general conclusion on the topic of the essay.
At assignment-homework.com, you can plan your perfect essay with simple instructions.
- For and against essays (essays with arguments for and against)
The name speaks for itself: you give arguments for and against some phenomenon. In this type of writing, follow the following plan:
- In it, you bring the reader to the topic of discussion.
- Main part. You give arguments for and against some action or phenomenon, and you do not need to express your point of view.
- Here you express your attitude to the topic and draw a conclusion.
All examples are taken from the book Successful Writing
2. Opinion essays (opinion essay)
In opinion essays, you need to not only reflect your point of view, but also look at the proposed topic from different angles. Consider all aspects of the issue, write your opinion and be sure to support it with arguments.
Essay-opinion plan in English:
- You indicate the topic of discussion.
- Main part. You express your opinion and justify it. Here it is desirable to consider an opinion opposite to yours, and also to explain why you do not share this point of view.
- You sum up, finally formulating your point of view on the proposed topic.
3. Suggesting solutions to problem essays
In this type of written work, you will be asked to consider a global problem. Your job is to suggest solutions.
The plan for this type of essay is as follows:
- You specify the problem and its causes or consequences.
- Main part. You suggest ways to solve the problem and the possible consequences of such actions. Explain clearly why certain actions should be taken and what this entails.
- Summarize your reasoning.
Rules for writing an essay in English perfectly
Before writing an essay in English, read some rules. These simple guidelines will help you succeed in writing.
1. Prepare for any topic
An essay in English shows not only your level of knowledge of the language, but also erudition. Therefore, before preparing for the exam, read texts on various topics. This will help you broaden your horizons and memorize new words and phrases that you can use in your written work on the exam.
2. Use your draft wisely
Since there is little time for writing an essay in English, a draft should be used wisely. If time is running out, we advise immediately after receiving the assignment and getting to know the topic, sketch out your thoughts and arguments for them in the form of short theses. This will allow you to write a clear essay on a clean copy.
3. Determine the right style
The style of writing an essay in English should be semi-formal or formal. Do not use slang or abbreviations, for example, write cannot instead of can’t, want to instead of want, etc. To understand how different speech styles differ and how to use them.
4. Stick to structure
Once you have received the assignment, determine the type of essay and the plan according to which you will write it. Follow the points: heading – introduction – several paragraphs of the body – conclusion. Stick to this structure, otherwise your work will not be highly appreciated.
5. Argument your arguments
Each thought should not sound unfounded. Support it with arguments, a vivid example or statistics. Your written work should show the reviewer that you know what you are writing about.
6. Be concise
An essay in English is a short written work. Some students write huge opuses, following the principle “the more the better.” Alas, the examiners will not increase, but will lower your grade for not meeting the required volume.
7. Use link words
Introductory words for an essay are important links that connect sentences together, forming a logical chain of thoughts. They can help unite paragraphs, show contrast, or indicate consistency. We recommend that you study the article.
8. Use a variety of vocabulary and grammar
Avoid repetition of words, use synonyms and complex grammatical constructions – show the examiner that you speak English at a high level. For example, instead of good (good), which is boring to everyone, use, depending on the context, the words remarkable (wonderful), gorgeous (magnificent), fascinating (exciting). Use complex structures and different tenses to express your thoughts. A text in which all sentences are written in Present Simple will receive a low score.
State your thoughts correctly
In the essay, we recommend not to touch on politics, religion and other provocative topics. If such a topic cannot be avoided, state your point of view politely and tolerantly.
10. Write softly
Although you should express your thoughts, try not to use the following constructions often: “I am sure that …”, “I know that …”, etc. Write softer, for example, “It seems to me. ..”, “In my opinion …” – it will sound correct in relation to the opinions of other people.
Essay Writing Help
Recommended Essay Writing services Birmingham is one of the most effective company in United kingdom